Articulate Community Forums

Articulate Community Forums » Articulate General Discussion » General Discussion » Articulate for iPad

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2011, 06:04 AM   # 1

Question Articulate for iPad

Hi Friends,

I wanted to know that is there any solution to view articulate LMS modules on iPad or any apple devices?

Is there any development going on by articulate team to run LMS module on apple devices?

It would be great help if you share your thoughts on it.

Thanks
Kaps
Old 01-13-2011, 08:01 AM   # 2

Default Re: Articulate for iPad

Hi!

I'd review this thread (and the one that is linked to there).
Old 01-14-2011, 12:46 PM   # 3

You might be able to use this :
HTML Articulate player | eLearning Enhanced
Visit my blog: www.frameEntered.com
Old 01-14-2011, 03:55 PM   # 4

When you say "apple devices" are you excluding the Mac? Because as far as I know, Articulate content plays just peachy on a Mac.

Ppt 2003, XP SP2: STUDIO PRO '09 UPDATE 7
Old 01-26-2011, 08:23 AM   # 5

Hi all,

Is there anyone at Articulate who could provide us guidance on the ongoing work regarding Presenter on mobile devices and specifically on ipads ? It becomes a recurent discussion we do have with our customers, and we get more and more under pressure to use tools like Lectora to produce our content, so it could be deployed on "non-flash-supporting devices".

We realy like Articulate products and I don't want to go into coniderations about flash or not flash, Apple vs Adobe... But learning with ipads is actually just a reality ! I'm just asking for a kind of a roadmap regarding m-learning (even if Articulate likes to keep their customers in a sort of ignorance until their next release 3 years later...).

Please give us some usefull information (not just a link to the "request a feature" topic).

Thank you very much,
sven
Old 01-26-2011, 08:50 AM   # 6

Hi Sven,
I can't speak for Articulate and I know you said you didn't really want to debate the Apple vs Adobe thing... but :-)
When you say "non-flash-supporting devices" it really is just Apple. There are tons of mobile devices out there Articulate plays just fine on. Most of them are more versatile (Flash, USB, SD, HDMI, etc) and cheaper. Additionally quite a lot of them are running Android OS which enables companies to easily build custom apps unlike iPad.
In conversations I have had with companies that say they want to put training on an iPad/iPhone it's come down to these options/reasons.
  1. After some hard thinking they couldnt really come up with a reason why they want training on the iPad/iPhone... "cause it's cool" is not a solid reason to alter your company's learning strategy.
  2. They are hoping people will take the training "on-the-go" or from home on their iPad. The problem here is that although Apple has sold a lot of iPads... how many of those have ended up in the hands of your target audience? And of that small number how many want to do learning "on-the-go"? And if they are home, most will simply turn to their laptop if need be. Additionally with the flood of other tablets hitting the market it will soon be just as likely that the end user will be using one of those (with Flash).
  3. Some companies have a good reason for rolling out training on a mobile device. So good that they plan to buy 100 iPads dedicated to it. But when you get down to the hardware, versatility, cost, etc. It makes more sense for them to buy one of the other tablets.

After having these discussions with various companies they have always been thankful that my questions helped them stay on track and/or select the proper device. I am sure not all would agree... but it is worth having the conversation with them.
Visit my blog: www.frameEntered.com
Old 01-26-2011, 08:58 AM   # 7

Articulate has publicly stated that they want their content to play everywhere.

This is a very competitive industry and they play their cards close to the vest. I'd do the same. I work for a company (3M) that does the exact same with its technology. You gotta protect your IP.

So it may come down to how long can you wait until something may or may not appear.

Besides, a lot of the non-Flash content coming will probably be HTML5 and there is still a lot issues to be worked out there if you follow any of the public discussions in the trades about that standards process. It's a little yet of the cart pulling the horse.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:05 AM   # 8

Lightbulb Re: Articulate for iPad

Has anyone tried the Moyea SWF to iPad Converter?
Portfolio: eLearning.JimKitzmiller.net
Old 01-26-2011, 09:12 AM   # 9

Thanks both for your feedback,

>> Gerry: My point is not about html5 or any other technical solution, it's about customers asking me why do we use Articulate products and not Lectora (for example) for producing their contents. And as I like to use Articulate products, I would be pleased if Articulate could give me some arguments like a concrete commitment to mobile learning (and ipad is becoming a huge part of it, at least in some companies or for "home learners").

Would be nice if somebody from Articulate could also give us some feedback...
sven

Last edited by sringger : 01-26-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:03 PM   # 10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sringger View Post
>> Gerry: My point is not about html5 or any other technical solution, it's about customers asking me why do we use Articulate products and not Lectora (for example) for producing their contents. And as I like to use Articulate products, I would be pleased if Articulate could give me some arguments like a concrete commitment to mobile learning (and ipad is becoming a huge part of it, at least in some companies or for "home learners").

Would be nice if somebody from Articulate could also give us some feedback...
Hi Sven-

As Gerry mentioned, we have made clear a number of times that we're committed to having our content play on as many devices as possible. And, as this.onEnterFrame pointed out, our content already plays on mobile devices like the Droid X with Android 2.2:

Screenr - @jeanettebrooks: Here's what #Articulate content looks like on a Flash-enabled mobile device (Droid X with Android 2.2)

That said, we already have one product, Screenr, which does support playback on both the iPhone and iPad:

Screenr - @GetAdam: Here's what your Screenr screencasts look like on an iPhone.
Screenr - @GetAdam: Now you can view Screenr screencasts on your iPad. Check it out:

Although the native Flash output of the Articulate authoring tools won't currently play on Apple mobile devices, there are some work-arounds to get it to play, including using James Kingsley's $25 HTML5 custom skin:

Low bandwidth HTML #Articulate player w/Audio (reports to LMS too!) | Frame; Entered.

And, if your content doesn't require any user interactivity and is less than 5 minutes in length, you could create a screencast of it via Screenr - or break it up into multiple 5-minute segments (not ideal, I know, but could work in some circumstances).

All that goes to say that there are some things you can do now, and that we're always working on the next innovation - be it a new product or major upgrades to existing products. We don't comment on unreleased products or features, but if our track record is any indication - and our authoring tools meet all of your (and your clients') other requirements, then hopefully that's reason enough to use our tools.

Beyond that, hopefully the ease of use of our tools, the quality of content they produce, and the technical support and user community you get with us are reasons enough to stick with Articulate.

Of course, we can't meet everyone's needs all the time, so if Lectora or some other tool better meets your needs, that's understandable, too.

I hope this helps.