Articulate Community Forums

Articulate Community Forums » Articulate General Discussion » General Discussion » In the classroom

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2010, 11:10 AM   # 1

Smile In the classroom

Hi guys--

I'm new to the world of e-learning and have been tasked with taking boring PPT slides currently used in the classrooms as a teaching aid and turn them into some WONDERFUL, EXCITING AND NEW. The #1 question I get from anyone taking a look at this product, " How can I used this in the classroom?" Articulate has intimidated many and puzzed others.

So, how do you use this to teach in the classroom?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:40 AM   # 2

Default Re: In the classroom

Hi and great question.

I'm seeing a lot more college programs include self-paced, rapid-courses as a means of both augmenting and replaying in-class presentations. I did some work for an automotive training school where we used rapid-elearning to present high-level theory and concepts to students who would then have more hands-on lab time with their instructors.

Arizona State is doing some good work with Articulate in their WP Carey Business School. Here's one of their public examples: 1.1

What age group are you working with?

Considering the interest around social learning, I think there are some exciting opportunities to include your students in part of your course design and creation.

Because PowerPoint is ubiquitous, students could work from your pre-designed templates and existing course modules to create their own lessons and assisgnments in PowerPoint and published through your Articulate

Collectively each student is contributing to the knowledge pool and participating in teaching back to other students.

What else can you tell us about your new role and the kinds of topics you're teaching?

Great question!
Old 04-15-2010, 12:16 PM   # 3

Great question and something I've been actively involved in prior to joining the corporate "dark side". Good points David.

I know of a k-8 teacher that started with her class creating their history projects. They did majority of the work using ppt and then she helped them finish it out using articulate. They then used a free drop box for all their friends, parents to view it.

Another teacher has started creating quizzes for her IEP kids who need to have them administered verbally. She's able to accommodate those students without sacrificing the remainder of her class. Since the quiz is already created, it's just a matter of entering the info into quizmaker and recording audio. Very cool idea!

I posted about an experience I had with some college professors here

What education level are you working with?

Patrick
Old 04-15-2010, 02:31 PM   # 4

Question Re: In the classroom

Thanks for all responses.

I work for the US Army and they've been using PPT slides for YEARS as teaching aids but have now seen that it's pretty much death by PowerPoint b/c a lot of the material being presented is just bullets or a slide so full of text that the learner gets cross-eyed trying to read it all!

The soldiers are coming in SO tech savvy. They use technology daily (i.e. iPhones, video games, etc) and to present them with your basic PPT slides is a killer and makes it harder for retention. Essentially...they're bored and not interested in learning!

So, I've been tasked to take the current learning materials ( a LOT of PPT slideshows) whether used online or in the classroom and turn them into something more exciting for the learners. The courses range from Mortuary Affairs (recovery and preparation) to your basic course teaching about a certain piece of equipment (ex. a truck's engine or how to perform a certain task).

I've been reviewing the Articulate website and the community showcases as well as online searches for courses created using the software but the problem I'm finding is that unlike the 'outside world' where creativity is boundless, in the Army, branding and a particular way of doing things is of the upmost importance. End of discussion.

But as an instructional designer, how do I get out of that box?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:34 PM   # 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_J View Post
Great question and something I've been actively involved in prior to joining the corporate "dark side". Good points David.

I know of a k-8 teacher that started with her class creating their history projects. They did majority of the work using ppt and then she helped them finish it out using articulate. They then used a free drop box for all their friends, parents to view it.

Another teacher has started creating quizzes for her IEP kids who need to have them administered verbally. She's able to accommodate those students without sacrificing the remainder of her class. Since the quiz is already created, it's just a matter of entering the info into quizmaker and recording audio. Very cool idea!

I posted about an experience I had with some college professors here

What education level are you working with?

I work with Training Developers designing instruction for Soldiers from the AIT and 10 level, which is the entry level, up to the 40 level which more Senior level.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:42 PM   # 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Anderson View Post

Arizona State is doing some good work with Articulate in their WP Carey Business School. Here's one of their public examples: 1.1
How is Arizona State using this product in the classroom?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:53 PM   # 7

The graduate business program is using the courses to support in-class lectures and assignments. Not as a substitution as much as another channel for content.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:01 AM   # 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Id_Princess03 View Post
Thanks for all responses.

So, I've been tasked to take the current learning materials ( a LOT of PPT slideshows) whether used online or in the classroom and turn them into something more exciting for the learners. The courses range from Mortuary Affairs (recovery and preparation) to your basic course teaching about a certain piece of equipment (ex. a truck's engine or how to perform a certain task).

But as an instructional designer, how do I get out of that box?

Exactly how many courses do they expect you to do, and how many of you are there? I'm in academia and am not an ID, so my work process is probably slower than the rest of you. But I find that transforming PP slides to really interactive learning experiences takes a lot of time, a lot more than the military might realize.

But anyway. check out the Rapid E-Learning Blog for ideas. I think several of the exampes in the April 6th blog, The Truth About E-learning, would be of interest. Also join the Articulate Word of Mouth blog for ideas from Articulate and the community.

Joe
Old 04-16-2010, 07:35 AM   # 9

Hi Everyone,

Although I do not teach at Drexel...I found and excellent demo of how they use Articulate for the classroom lesson... From what I can tell...they use Blackboard for their LMS, supplemented by Wimba-for professor and student voice podcasts...they use Articulate for the lessons and created the demo using Captivate...(can't tell which program they used to edit video, put I would guess Premiere)...

I do not know how many Instructional Designers they have, but I recall from The Chronicle, that they were hiring ID's for a couple of years...

You can check their demo at Drexel Online Demo

Go to section 3 "How it works"

TJ
Old 04-16-2010, 03:13 PM   # 10

I've used Articulate in the classroom to support my ILT - just like I would a traditional PPT. I use the Engage interactions and the Quizmaker quizzes to "pump-up" what was once a flat PPT. I now get double use from the tool - eLearning development and ILT presentation development.