Articulate Community Forums

Articulate Community Forums » Articulate General Discussion » General Discussion » Articulate, Flash and HTML 5

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2009, 03:51 PM   # 1

Question Articulate, Flash and HTML 5

We are considering adopting Articulate as the main e-learning development platform for our University. Someone here has raised the question that as there seems to be a move away from Flash to the newly being developed HTML5, will Articulate upgrade its capabilities to accommodate HTML5 as it emerges if it become a serious challenger to Flash? Has anyone explored this?

Mike Kronenfeld
AT Still University
Old 09-04-2009, 08:20 AM   # 2

Default Re: Articulate, Flash and HTML 5

HTML 5 is a ways away and much of what it will mean to the average web user is unknown so I don't really think you need to be concerned about all that much. Also, the wiki page debunks the HTML 5 makes all your current video obsolete myth as well.
HTML 5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tweet me here.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:03 PM   # 3

Now that we have the iPad (along withe the iPhone) and Apple is touting HTML 5 over Flash for app developers - is Articulate re-evaluating the viability of HTML5 and perhaps allocating some development dollars to the a move away from Flash?

Thanks! I know, this is probably too"personal" a question, so any insight will be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:07 AM   # 4

iPad support is a great suggestion! If you are interested in support for the iPad, I would suggest that you submit a feature request.
Articulate Support - Request a Feature
Tweet me here.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:28 PM   # 5

I'm not prepared to fold up my Flash tent just yet. Flash is a living platform with a huge install base while HTML5 is still largely unproven. Also, I found this article illuminating.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:46 PM   # 6

That is a good article Brian. In the end, competition and options are good for all of us. Hopefully Flash will get some big upgrades in security and performance and HTML5 will continue to evolve.

I've been impressed with the HTML5 playback used on Vimeo. Of course those are only videos but certainly an option.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:34 AM   # 7

Send a message via Skype™ to gravino

It's clear that recent comments from Steve Jobs pretty much means that Flash on the iPad / iPhone etc. is not going to happen and HTML5 etc. are their focus.

As a global business this is serious for us as all of our courses are developed using Articulate, and we need to ensure that all of our courses are going to run on all popular platforms over the next 5 years (and more).

So, is Articulate just going to say "Flash isn't going away" and ignore HTML5 as it develops or look to move towards HTML5, or even support both formats?

It's something that cannot be ignored in the long term and business needs to ask questions of Articulate now.

Can anyone develop on this issue for me?

Graham
Old 04-30-2010, 06:57 AM   # 8

Looks like President of Articulate has chimed in: Twitter / Adam Schwartz: @jenisecook We love Flash ...
Old 04-30-2010, 07:45 AM   # 9

Send a message via Skype™ to gravino

Ok, Screenr is great - but my worry is that one day we'll have to move to a product that can 'Publish' in some kind of HTML5 format that will run on all platforms, rather than Flash than runs on all but iPad/Phone etc...

I don't want to 'ditch' Articulate - I want Articulate to tell me what their thoughts/plans are on publishing output..!

Graham
Old 04-30-2010, 08:36 AM   # 10

Graham,

I think Adam’s point is that Screenr is just an example of how we’re embracing both technologies. We haven’t made our development plans public, but suffice it to say that we want our content to play as widely as possible and love both HTML5 and Flash.

You should follow me on twitter here.

Last edited by dmozealous : 05-11-2010 at 12:32 PM.