Articulate Community Forums

Articulate Community Forums » Articulate Product Forums » Articulate Quizmaker » SCORM reporting

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2007, 04:04 PM   # 1

Default SCORM reporting

I'm using quizmaker (in presenter) to output scorm to an LMS (Moodle).

It successfully reports max/min score, actual score and pass/fail.

I noticed on another SCORM package that I tried (not quizmaker) that their tracking had "Interactions" and lots of information like question number, how many attempts, and the response plus if it was correct or not.

Are there any settings/output etc in quizmaker that can make it give a little more reporting in SCORM mode?

thanks
Old 07-19-2007, 05:10 PM   # 2

Default Re: SCORM reporting

Hello jfranklin,
There is a thread similar to this going on over in the Presenter forum.

Here is a response from that thread:
We do send all tracking data from Quizmaker via SCORM 1.2 and 2004. You can see a test log of all the data we send here:

http://www.articulate.com/support/kb/000530.php
http://www.articulate.com/support/kb/000611.php
Old 07-19-2007, 05:39 PM   # 3

Yes, I think I came across that thread and a comment from Gabe that sounded just like that.

I'm not sure exactly what the phrase "we send all data" means! I've read on another thread that with SCORM 2004 someone has all the answers coming through. But I can only use SCORM 1.2.

I assumed that SCORM 1.2 wasn't capable of giving the quiz results (including each question's result) to the LMS - or Moodle wasn't capable on the other end. But having seen a SCORM package that gives these results in Moodle (using SCORM 1.2) I now wonder why a similar Articulate package doesn't give this.

I guess really the question is - is this that SCORM 1.2 output from Articulate (quizmaker via presenter) doesn't give the individual question results, or that it gives them in a way that Moodle cannot interpret?

It's not a major issue - but if there's a setting you can change (I can't find one), or some patched file that changes the SCORM reporting then I guess it would be a nice bonus.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:57 AM   # 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfranklin View Post
But having seen a SCORM package that gives these results in Moodle (using SCORM 1.2) I now wonder why a similar Articulate package doesn't give this.
jfranklin, excellent question, and one I have been struggling with myself. Unfortunately I have not found any magic setting to accomplish this. We use PathLore LMS and have tried both the SCORM 2004 and SCORM 1.2 protocols, both without any success.

We do get all of the data reporting back to the LMS, but it is written to our database in one entry and wrapped in XML coding; pretty much unusable for reporting, at least with my current skillset. I have seen it, I know it's there... It's just all lumped together.

We have worked extensively with our LMS vendor on this issue, and they have told us that they believe it is a problem in the way our LMS handles this type of data from SCORM 1.2 authored content. They are currently working on delivering a patch (hopefully soon) and I will then be able to see if we are able to get something more usable for reporting...

I have not tried it yet with AICC authored content, but from what I understand it may be easier to do...
Old 07-20-2007, 07:41 AM   # 5

It's certainly strange.

I don't doubt that Articulate meets the SCORM specification, but if your LMS isn't reporting all the data and mine isn't then perhaps it's another case of Articulate's interpretation not quite being the same as many LMS'. It certainly is a shame that the data is not being seen.

I looked through the DB entries. I couldn't see that xml in the Moodle database. I did however see the total time taken accurately reporting. This is weird as Moodle always reports it as 00:00:00 (which I assume comes from the setting in Articulate).

Anyway, I will have no control over the LMS that gets used (I'm only producing content). At least it reports passed/failed and the score in a way that all LMSs understand.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:28 PM   # 6

I was having similar problems with Articulate/QuizMaker courses running on our CourseMill LMS. I was able to report completion and score data on users, but no interaction data appeared on the reports. I built both an Articulate course with an embedded quiz and a stand-alone QuizMaker quiz. I followed the instructions in the forum regarding quiz settings for proper recording of interactions. No go.

I was suspicious that perhaps the LMS was at fault either in properly recording and/or properly reporting the data, so I created a couple of quick assessments using other packages. I'll call them "Scaptivate" and "Slectora". I also had a third-party SCORM assessment hand-crafted by a vendor. In each case, the CourseMill LMS reported not only score and status data, but interaction information as well.

In other words, every course other than the Articulate/QuizMaker course provided data sufficient for the CourseMill LMS to track and report interactions.

I have seen the SCORM compliance test results showing Articulate's compliance, however I also see no interaction data in my LMS reports.

Perhaps this is a case of everyone but Articulate being out of step.

Not as cranky as I may sound,
Watchman
Old 08-03-2007, 12:47 PM   # 7

Hi,

I would urge you to get a browser sniffer (like HTTP Watch or HTTP Analyzer) and learn how to use it and read what it tracks. That way you can see what the Articulate-produced content is actually sending to the LMS. That way, you can more clearly tell if it is an Articulate issue or an LMS issue.

One example of an LMS issue--we cannot send certain special characters contained in question answers to our Saba LMS. Articulate sends them correctly but our LMS chokes on them. The data doesn't get recorded properly. So, in this one case for us, what looks like an Articulate issue turns out to really be an LMS issue.

Also, there is a known issue (at least with AICC, which is what we use) with AP and PowerPoint slides that are hidden. Articulate will not report results back to the LMS correctly.

Articulate will be addressing that issue, but, in the interim, if you use AP with your quiz, remove any hidden slides in your PPT--or unhide them.

Just some additional food for thought . . .

Best.

- Gerry
Old 08-03-2007, 01:30 PM   # 8

As an fyi, this is the quiz data sent with each question:

strInteractions =
'"course_id","student_id","lesson_id","date","time ","interaction_id",' +
'"objective_id","type_interaction","correct_respon se","student_response",' + '"result","weighting","latency"\r\n';
Tweet me here.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:30 PM   # 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
As an fyi, this is the quiz data sent with each question:

strInteractions =
'"course_id","student_id","lesson_id","date","time ","interaction_id",' +
'"objective_id","type_interaction","correct_respon se","student_response",' + '"result","weighting","latency"\r\n';
Thanks, Justin. You rock! Is there a repository of this type of info available? I'd like to find out where scores are sent. Is it "cmi.core.score.raw" ? (Sorry if this is too off-topic.)
Old 08-03-2007, 03:07 PM   # 10

You mean a repository besides my head? That info is right here. You should be able to get a good idea of what we send to your LMS by checking out this KB article:

Is Articulate Quizmaker SCORM conformant?

Download the PDF file and it will show you exactly what's happening when you launch, take and exit a quiz in SCORM.

Hope that helps!
Tweet me here.