Articulate Community Forums

Articulate Community Forums » Articulate Product Forums » Articulate Presenter » What exactly is PPTA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2008, 06:29 PM   # 1

Question What exactly is PPTA?

Can someone give me the quick and dirty description of exactly the PPTA file is and how it effects the PPT?
Old 10-22-2008, 08:48 PM   # 2

Default Re: What exactly is PPTA?

Hi IntuitAPDLD. The PPTA file has been introduced in the new Presenter '09. The best way to explain how this works is to compare how file management is handled between Presenter 5 and Presenter '09:

In Presenter 5, any course assets you insert into a course (such as audio files, attachments, Flash files, Quizmaker files and Engage files) are copied into a project folder that contains an array of files and subfolders. This project folder is necessary to publish your course.

With Presenter '09, Articulate has significantly changed how inserted assets are handled. These assets are instead consolidated into a single PPTA file--which can be compared to a protected archive file. So now, with any course you work on, you will have only two files...the PowerPoint file (PPT) and the PPTA file. Like with the project folder in Presenter 5, Presenter '09 requires the PPTA file for publishing. You will notice that the PPTA file can get quite large--especially if you have a considerable amount of audio or video inserted into a course.

For those who did not like the large number of files and folders in Presenter 5, I imagine that the PPTA approach in Presenter '09 will be a welcome change.

I don't know if my explanation is quick and dirty, but I hope it helps

Phil
Old 10-23-2008, 03:34 PM   # 3

The main point is to keep the PPTA and PPT files together when moving your projects around.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 AM   # 4

Hi,

PPTA could be usefull but it's really not a success.

Although PPTA contain custom text or templates, Presenter don't show them when we use it on different computers. Also we can't easily import PPTA custom text/template on other computer.

Thus for now PPTA is usefull for backup and plublishing but not for transportability or team working.

We are waiting this since so many years.....
Old 01-13-2009, 06:37 AM   # 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmerisse View Post
We are waiting this since so many years.....
Hello jsmerisse, welcome to the forums! A new feature introduced with AP '09 is the "Send to Articulate Package" feature, described here in this kb article: http://www.articulate.com/support/presenter09/?p=457

This is a great way to share and collaborate (and even archive) your Articulate projects and all assets are included in the zip file.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:23 AM   # 6

Thanks for this answer.

But this doesn't help for team working and project text/template sharing.
The "Send to Articulate Package" only create a zip file with the PPT, PPTA files and a note. I can do it outside Powerpoint.

Make a new project with a custom text and color (not in default or preset list). Save it. Open it with an other computer where this custom text and color don't exist. Here when you want to modify the custom text or color, the template setup window don't show it.

Is there a bug or something ?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:27 AM   # 7

Quote:
Make a new project with a custom text and color (not in default or preset list). Save it. Open it with an other computer where this custom text and color don't exist. Here when you want to modify the custom text or color, the template setup window don't show it.
Just to clarify, are you referring to a custom text and color in powerpoint, or an Articulate Player template (for example, custom text color in the player navigation bar)?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:46 AM   # 8

Sorry my english isn't perfect and may be my explanations aren't clear .

I'm refering to custom settings in the Articulate Player Template navigation bar. For example when I use the 'Edit color Schemes...' button I can't retrieve the custom setting. Although I can see it with the preview mode.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:25 AM   # 9

Quote:
I'm refering to custom settings in the Articulate Player Template navigation bar. For example when I use the 'Edit color Schemes...' button I can't retrieve the custom setting. Although I can see it with the preview mode.
jsmerisse, no problem with the English, I just wanted to make sure that I understood the issue...

I wonder if Justin or someone else from Articulate would be able to chip in here on this post and clarify the issue with custom player templates: Is an editable version of the player template included in either the PPTA or "presenter package"?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 AM   # 10

And what happen if we set a new template ?
Is the old one in PPTA overwritten ?