Articulate Community Forums

Articulate Community Forums » Articulate Product Forums » Articulate Presenter » Dealing with Course Completion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-15-2010, 11:27 AM   # 1

Default Dealing with Course Completion

The Situation:
Here are some course details. Iíve developed a SCORM 2004 (3rd edition) course containing a total of 26 slides and the course does not contain a quiz. There are two points within the course where the flow splits (due to user decisions on what to watch) but then merges back into the course again. Let me try to explain the splits first and then Iíll explain the problem I have. Here goes.

Iíve built a small menu (with only two clickable options) on slide 7. The intent is the user will eventually view both options - upon click there is an information reveal. The split is there because I wanted to give the learner the power to choose which category they want to see first Ė as a result this experience has a total of 5 slides (slides 7 - 11). As a result, the learner will only see 3 out of the total 5 slides for this experience. Users will see one of the following flows:

Slide 7 -> Slide 8 -> Slide 9 OR Slide 7 -> Slide 10 -> Slide 11

After viewing the content the flow merges back with slide 12. (after viewing slide 9, the course jumps ahead to slide 12.)
The second time the course splits is when the user is presented with a slide that contains 4 clickable buttons to play 4 different videos (geographically overlayed on a map). Each button takes the user to a different slide to play the video. This experience is rather complex as it utilizes hyperlinks and additional slides that act as dummy menus because the menu that is viewed the firs time contains narration that I do not want to repeat when the user returns to the menu to choose another video. This experience uses a total of 9 slides and itís up to the user to decide how many videos they want to watch. They could view a minimum of 3 slides and a maximum of 9.

The Problem:
Since the course will not contain a quiz, I need to set the course completion based on a number of slides viewed. The issue is that the user could view anywhere from 18 Ė 26 slides depending on how many videos they watch. For examples, if I set the course slide min for completion to 18 and they watch all of the videos they will hit the required number to complete before they actually reach the very last slide of the course (slide 26). If i set the min slide completion number to 26 and they don't watch all the videos, they will never complete the course because all 26 slides were not viewed.

The Question:
Is there anyway I can have the course complete when the very last slide is viewed? Regardless of how many they actually view? If the navigation is locked, then the only way they will view the last slide is if they view all the content anyway.
I realize the way Iíve developed the course is complex but I hope my explanation is somewhat clear.

Please help!

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 09-15-2010, 12:39 PM   # 2

Default Re: Dealing with Course Completion

I would simply create a one question quiz at the end of the presentation that says something like this.

Let us know that you have completed the course. Select Yes if you are done or no if you want to review the course again.

You could create a True/False question and change the True/False text to Yes, No.

Set up the quiz so that you hide all of the scoring. Go to Player Templates and edit the existing template and in the Layout section you can turn all that off.

In the Pass/Fail results slides you can also hide all of the scoring and customize the text however you want.

Have the Finish action for Pass close the browser window.

Have the Finish action for the Fail maybe go back to a slide prior to where the course started branching so they could follow the different scenarios.
Tweet me here.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:16 PM   # 3

Thanks Justin for your quick reply.

Using your advice, I went a slightly different route using a multiple response question with only one answer choice. The question stem read "Please acknowledge your completion of this course by checking the box below." And then the answer choice was a single check box reading "Yes, I acknowledge that I have completed this course.". This way, it is esentially impossible to 'fail' and the passing slide closes out the course with the final audio narration.

While this is not the way I intended the course to wrap up, I am satisfied with the solution and end result. Thanks again for your guidance!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:13 AM   # 4

Cool beans. Thanks for sharing your solution!
Tweet me here.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:48 AM   # 5

Hey Ryan, glad you were able to work things out.

I had a similar situation recently and used an approach somewhat how Justin describes.

Instead of asking a learner if they've completed, I asked the learner if they wished to review any content. If they chose "yes", (incorrect choice), I returned them back the choices slide via a mirror image of the choices slide on the Quiz Fail Slide with same links. If they chose "no", (correct choice), I presented the Quiz Pass Slide that summarizes their completion and as Justin pointed out I removed all the scoring on that slide.

Also, I stripped the Quiz template down as slim as possible along with matching color scheme.

Agree with you that it's not exactly how I wanted to finish it, but it works pretty good. Have you submitted a feature request that allows the selection of a single slide for status completion?