Articulate Community Forums

Articulate Community Forums » Articulate Product Forums » Articulate Presenter » audible "phfff"/click sound between each slide narration

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2010, 11:05 PM   # 1

Default audible "phfff"/click sound between each slide narration

I'm new to Articulate and have put together a sample presentation to practice with the product. I used the recorder in Articulate to provide audio to the slides. There is an audible click between each slide when I play it back. At first I thought it was my windows sound files affiliated with my mouse. I turned them off, re-recorded a few slides and still had a very clear (phffff click sound between narration recordings.

Is there a way to record without getting that very audible sound? I do not need to fix what I have because it's a practice example, unless that is the only way to get the "phffff" to go away.

Thanks,

Stacey
Old 01-11-2010, 09:55 AM   # 2

Default Re: audible "phfff"/click sound between each slide narration

Hi Stacey,

Can you tell me what the audible sound sounds like? Does it sound like an actual mouse click? If so, did you record one slide at at time & then click on the "next slide" button in the Record Narration window?

Also, can you tell me if you are recording with a headset, an external microphone, or an internal microphone (like those seen on laptops)?
www.articulate.com

You twitter? Follow me here.

E-Learning Heroes, the new Articulate community site, is now available! Come join and check out the new forums, tutorials, downloads, and more!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:17 PM   # 3

Hi Brian,

Thanks so much for your rapid response.

Yes. It sounds like a mouse click. I turned off all the Window's sounds thinking that was the pick up. No go.

Yes, I am recording one slide at a tlme. I hit the "start recording", record, the "stop" button, and then Next Slide; making a click before and after each picture. The projects are nature slide lectures created by my great aunt. I am interested in recording individually because her Garden Club, the recipient of these lectures, will be reviewing the latin pronounciation of plants that will most likely need to be fixed.

To record, I'm using a Logitech headset/microphone that I used to create education movies in Microsoft's Picture It about 4 years ago.

In advance, thanks for your help!

Stacey
Old 01-11-2010, 02:19 PM   # 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabahn View Post
Hi Brian,

Yes. It sounds like a mouse click. I turned off all the Window's sounds thinking that was the pick up. No go.

Yes, I am recording one slide at a tlme. I hit the "start recording", record, the "stop" button, and then Next Slide; making a click before and after each picture.

Stacey
Hi Stacey,

I've actually had something similar happen to me. When I was recording, my microphone was picking up the "mouse click" from my actual mouse (similar to how a mic will pick up keyboard sounds if you type). If you have a loud mouse, you might try using a different mouse to see if that impacts what you are experiencing.
www.articulate.com

You twitter? Follow me here.

E-Learning Heroes, the new Articulate community site, is now available! Come join and check out the new forums, tutorials, downloads, and more!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:23 PM   # 5

Send a message via AIM to jvelozott Send a message via Yahoo to jvelozott

I had something happen to me very similar. It WAS MEEE clicking the mouse. Try to put the mouse area as far away as possible from the microphone and see if that helps.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:49 PM   # 6

Thanks, guys!

I'll give that a try and see if it's "mouse noise". I'll let you know the outcome.

Stacey
Old 01-11-2010, 10:18 PM   # 7

Thanks for those tips... I will try not to make the same mistake! Maybe using the enter key would be better?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 AM   # 8

Smile Re: audible "phfff"/click sound between each slide narration

Another option is to edit out the noise in the Audio Editor. Zoom in on the audio selection and find the noise, highlight that area and then select the Silence button. That will insert silence in the place of the noise. This might be easier than re-recording everything.

Carol
Old 01-12-2010, 02:19 PM   # 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
Another option is to edit out the noise in the Audio Editor. Zoom in on the audio selection and find the noise, highlight that area and then select the Silence button. That will insert silence in the place of the noise. This might be easier than re-recording everything.

Carol
Hi Carol,

Thanks for the suggestion. The noise is directly connected to the "between slides" marker in the Audio Editor so I can't remove it. I discovered this by trying to add "silence to the end of a slide and it still made the "phff" noise. I have 20 lectures of 140 slides each. This process would be amazingly irritating if I had to edit out a "pfff" at the beginning and end of each slide. That's would be 5600 edits to eliminate something that should not be a part of a product of this caliber. Audio is difficult to control because Articulate can't control environment or microphones, so I seek solutions with patience.
As for editing what's been done, luckily, I discovered the problem in a 6 slide sample I've been working with to learn the in's and out's before I launch into the super-sized projects.

Thanks again,

Stacey
Old 01-20-2010, 07:55 PM   # 10

Found the solution. My microphone is a dual jack set up that goes through the sound card to record. The sales guy I spoke with said that the quality of the sound card can be the problem. He recommended a USB port headset (26 bucks) because a USB routes around the sound card and works directly with the software (his explanation..don't know if its correct or not. BUT the most import thing is it took care of the problem. No more hiss and pop at the transition of each slide.