Articulate Community Forums

Articulate Community Forums » Articulate Product Forums » Articulate Presenter » Flash Player targer - Articulate moving to Flash 9 / AS3 anytime

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2009, 02:38 PM   # 1

Default Flash Player targer - Articulate moving to Flash 9 / AS3 anytime

Not sure where to pose this question ...

It seems like Articulate is stuck on Flash 6. While this may be for broader compatibility, i think that it hinders development and insertion of other Flash content and new Engage interactions. Is there a plan to update the player portion of the product to newer versions of Flash?

Maybe I'm just complaining - I've haven't touched Flash 6 level code in 4 years, yet I have to relearn it to develop custom interactions for my current project.

Anyone else been in a similar spot?

edit - Ooops! Misspelled the title. But can't fix. Oh well.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:49 AM   # 2

Default Re: Flash Player targer - Articulate moving to Flash 9 / AS3 anytime

Hi, nudoru. I cannot say if or when Presenter will support content published for Flash Player 9 and ActionScript 3. However, these are good feature requests, and I have submitted them to our product development team on your behalf.

We welcome your ideas! You may always submit feature requests here.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:10 AM   # 3

I too crossed this path when creating my Custom Engage Interaction, but was able to port two Flash Player versions (6 and 8) for my interaction. The only hick-up I found with the Flash Player 8 version was the preloader animation will pause when the bitmaps are caching.

Bitmap caching gives developers that are experiencing poor frame rates the power to greatly increase the speed at which large amounts of objects are updated and drawn onto the Stage by the renderer. Additionally, the use of alpha channels are allowed in Flash Player 8.

You can see the slight pause in this interaction.

As long as actionscript 2.0 is used, you should be able to port your Engage Interaction to any Flash Player below 10. - Currently the Engage interaction engine will check for Flash Player version 9 or less.

Make sure you are using the latest Engage SDK.

The version of the SDK installed can be identified by browsing to the following directory:

Vista:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\<language> \Configuration\Classes\Articulate\Engage\

XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\<language>\Configuration\Classes\Articu late\Engage\

Depending on the operating system, a folder holding all of the Articulate Flash Class files will reside in one of the folders above and would be as follows:

* v2_0 This is Engage SDK version 1.2
* v2_1 This is Engage SDK version 1.3

What is the extent of the issues you are experiencing?
http://www.articulate.com/support/

E-Learning Heroes, the new Articulate community site, is now available! Come join and check out the new forums, tutorials, downloads, and more!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:42 AM   # 4

I couldn't agree more, working in what is in essence a legacy scripting language hinders development and unnecessarily limits the Flash content that can be embedded.

Please add my vote for a much needed update of the Articulate engine to Actionscript3... having to re-learn AS2 has been a very strange experience indeed!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:54 AM   # 5

baroquedub and nudoru,

I've added a feature request for both of you on your behalf to implement Actionscipt 3.0 in a future release.
http://www.articulate.com/support/

E-Learning Heroes, the new Articulate community site, is now available! Come join and check out the new forums, tutorials, downloads, and more!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:07 PM   # 6

Thanks for submitting the request!