Articulate Community Forums

Articulate Community Forums » Articulate Product Forums » Articulate Presenter Player SDK » Custom menu

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-2009, 05:00 PM   # 1

Default Custom menu

Hi folks, I have customised my interface in a course by modifying the ast_remote file, running in view mode 3. What I'm looking to do is to add a popup menu system that will link to pages within the course. Could anyone give me a rough idea of how to do this using the SDK? Would this also be done in the ast_remote file or would it be possible to modifly the ‘Test Tool.fla’? Could the titles be dynamicly generated or would we have to manualy input these?

Many thanks.

Pete.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:15 PM   # 2

Default Re: Custom menu

Hi, Pete:

Here's a shot from the hip for your menu code. You can drop this into a presentation with a few slides on it to get a feel for it. You might could then play with adding something like this to your floating control code.

This movie basically addresses how to dynamically load your slide titles into a menu structure with "links" the appropriate slides.

Hope this gets you started.

Good luck!

Brian
Attached Files
File Type: zip menu.zip (8.3 KB, 254 views)
Old 11-16-2009, 04:16 AM   # 3

Thanks for your help Brian, I'll let you know how I get one.

Regards.

Pete.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:39 PM   # 4

Brian-

Thank you for this menu file. I apologize if I am missing something but can you let me know where this file should reside? Does it get packaged in the main .artpkg file or somewhere else? What is the code to call it?

Thanks!
Tara
Old 08-05-2010, 10:37 AM   # 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls learning View Post
Brian-

Thank you for this menu file. I apologize if I am missing something but can you let me know where this file should reside? Does it get packaged in the main .artpkg file or somewhere else? What is the code to call it?

Thanks!
Tara
Hi, Tara:

This file is really a (very) quick and dirty example of a menu, and it's not really production-ready. Just do an Articulate > Insert > Flash Movie on a slide and it should display for you.

Good luck,
Brian
Old 08-05-2010, 10:47 AM   # 6

Thanks Brian-

I am hoping to have a menu build from my custom player template so that is what I am struggling with. This is great code to use within the existing player. Have you created a menu that will populate within the custom player template?

Thanks!
Tara
Old 08-05-2010, 10:52 AM   # 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls learning View Post
Thanks Brian-

I am hoping to have a menu build from my custom player template so that is what I am struggling with. This is great code to use within the existing player. Have you created a menu that will populate within the custom player template?

Thanks!
Tara
Hi, Tara:

The Articulate API code will be essentially the same whether the menu is on-slide or in a custom skin. What will be different, of course, is how you display your custom menu (i.e., how you make it function as an interface element -- does it fly in, appear, what happens when you rollover it? click it?). I actually started working on a set of basic custom classes to build custom skin elements, but my work has taken me away from custom skins for awhile now.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:49 AM   # 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHoule View Post
Hi, Pete:

Here's a shot from the hip for your menu code. You can drop this into a presentation with a few slides on it to get a feel for it. You might could then play with adding something like this to your floating control code.

This movie basically addresses how to dynamically load your slide titles into a menu structure with "links" the appropriate slides.

Hope this gets you started.

Good luck!

Brian
Hi Brian,

I don't suppose you, or anyone else, for that matter have been able to make this work with only level 1 slides on the 1st level and a slide out of relevant level 2 slides have you?

If so any chance some one could post the actionscript please?

TC
Old 09-17-2010, 12:21 AM   # 9

I take it no one wants to share this then?
Old 09-20-2010, 11:41 AM   # 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDown View Post
I take it no one wants to share this then?
Hey, TC:

I would, but I've not done a slide out menu, so no AS to share.

What I would do is loop through your slides and set you slide info objects, create your top level menu, then, when you reach a slide whose nSlideInfo > 0, it means you've reached a submenu creation point.

Off the top of my head, this is something I might do:

Code:
var oSlideInfo:Object;
//var oPrevSlideInfo:Object; //sometimes useful
//var oNextSlideInfo:Object;  //sometimes useful
var arrLastMenuItems:Array //to capture which menu item we left off at at each level
var oMenuItemInfo:Object; //whatever you want to pass to a menu item
var nSlideCount:Number = ArtAPI.GetSlideCount();
for (var nSlideNum:Number = 1;nSlideNum<=nSlideCount;nSlideNum++) {
      oSlideInfo = ArtAPI.GetSlideInfo(nSlideNum);
      //oPrevSlideInfo = ArtAPI.GetSlideInfo(nSlideNum - 1);
      //oNextSlideInfo = ArtAPI.GetSlideInfo(nSlideNum + 1);
      oMenuItemInfo = {level:oSlideInfo.nLevel, text:oSlideInfo.strTitle, target:nSlideNum };
      addItemToThisMenu(this["mcSubmenuUnderSlide" +  String(arrLastMenuItems[oSlideInfo.nLevel-1])], oMenuItemInfo];
      arrLastMenuItems[oSlideInfo.nLevel] = nSlideNum;
      }
}
Of course, you'd need to define your function for addItemToThisMenu (maybe building a menu component) and code to create and position your menu and submenu mcs and add mouse events, but you get the general idea.

Hope this helps.

Brian