Articulate Community Forums

Articulate Community Forums » Articulate Product Forums » Articulate Engage » Can't open Engage

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2008, 03:22 PM   # 11

Default Re: Can't open Engage

I have been having the same issues as tiagognc, and have been going round and round with tech support with no results. I am running Windows XP with Office 2003. The only thing that fixed it was to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of the whole Articulate studio, but the problem is back three days later. It renders the program completely unusable. This needs to be fixed asap!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:27 PM   # 12

The fix for him was this:

1) Quit Engage.
2) Go to Start -> Run and type:

regedit

3) Click OK.
4) Locate this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Articulate\Engage

5) Right click it and select Export.
6) Save the key somewhere.
7) Right click it again and select Delete.
8) Exit the Registry Editor
9) Restart Engage.

If that works for you please send us the key so we can look at it.
Tweet me here.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:28 PM   # 13

I have been having this exact same problem and I'm running Windows XP with Office 2003. My program crashes and I can no longer open or edit any Engage files. I have submitted this to tech support and they had perform the same steps that Justin did here. None of them worked. The only thing that did work was completely uninstalling and reinstalling the entire Articulate Studio package...all of the programs. This only worked for a few days however, then the problem returned. I resubmitted a case, so we'll see what happens. We can't possibly be expected to uninstall and reinstall every few days just to use the software! I so wish they made this software for Mac.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:32 PM   # 14

Nope...thanks for the quick reply, Justin, but this didn't work for me. I still get the same error.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:45 PM   # 15

Just so I understand, you are unable to open the Engage application directly or you are unable to open Engage through PowerPoint or both?
Tweet me here.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:47 PM   # 16

Both. I get an error both ways. I can send some screen shots...
Old 06-11-2008, 03:53 PM   # 17

This would be my suggestion, though I see Dave asked you to do a web conference so you may want to take him up on that so we can see what's going on.

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs.

Uninstall all versions of Microsoft .NET Framework you have which could be 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 plus all hotfixes.

Follow Method 3, Option A here to run the .NET Framework clean up utility:

How to troubleshoot Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 installation issues in Windows XP or in Windows 2000

as outlined here:

Aaron Stebner's WebLog : More detailed steps to fix .NET Framework install errors that ask for tmpXXXX.tmp

Next, do the following:

1) Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs.
2) Uninstall Articulate Engage.
3) Download and install Engage 1.2

When you are prompted about what version of Windows and PowerPoint you are using you would need to select Vista and PowerPoint 2007 to get the correct point release (the release is backwards compatible with earlier operating systems and versions of PowerPoint) which is Engage 1.2

See if that does the trick.
Tweet me here.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:55 PM   # 18

Ok...I'm reinstalling Engage. One question...Do I need to have the latest versions of the Presenter and Quizmaker as well? Or just Engage? Thanks.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:13 PM   # 19

Ok...I did all of these steps and it worked! Thank you so much!

I have also figured out what the problem is here...the .NET thing is definitely an issue, but that seems to be resolved. I launched Engage after all of these steps to see if everything was working properly. I created a new interaction, edited an old one, etc. Then I copied two custom schemes I made using the instructions frmo the Word of Mouth blog. When I launched Engage, the SAME old error came popping back up! (But only in Engage, not Presenter) I went in to the schemes folder and ditched those two custm schemes, and the error dissappeared. It seems the software does not like any customization! I'm going to recreate the scheme from scratch, rename it something totally unique, and see if the error comes back.

Thanks so much for your patience with this and helping me resolve this annoying issue.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:01 AM   # 20

Glad to hear you are up and running!
Tweet me here.